When I saw these two dining chairs I thought they were adorable and would be an excellent project. I love the "bones" of these chairs, the turned-wood legs and arms and the nice design on the back of the chair.
I wasn't sure if I wanted to keep these white or paint them a bold color so I decided to find a fabric I liked first, then let the fabric dictate the paint choice.
The fabric I found was Waverly Modern Essentials "Solar Flare". I purchased this fabric from JoAnn's Fabrics. One yard was enough to cover both seats, and of course I waited for the 50% sale!
|Waverly Modern Essentials "Solar Flare"|
|The "before" picture! (care of a Craigslist seller)|
The first thing I did was unscrew the seat, sand down the frames, dab on primer and then add a few fresh coats of white satin spray paint.
|1 coat of primer, 2-4 coats of spray paint, 2 coats of Wipe-On Poly|
I left the first two layers of fabric on since they had been nailed on; the blue toile had been stapled on so it was easy to remove with a flat-head screwdriver and needle-nose pliers.
I covered the red velvet with a layer of cotton quilting batting and then laid my fun fabric on top of the batting. Lacking a staple gun, I used upholstery nails to take the fabric in place.
The extra batting made the seat a little thicker so I ended up having to buy longer screws to attach the seats back in place.
|The "after" picture!|